[PPL-devel] ppl / multithreading

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Fri Dec 13 08:24:34 CET 2013

On 12/12/13 13:02, Enea Zaffanella wrote:

> On 12/11/2013 03:25 PM, Samir Genaim wrote:
>> Is it possible to (safely) use PPL in a multithreaded setting? I
>> tried using it in a Java multithreaded program but got some "Invalid
>> memory access" and "Cannot allocate memory" errors, etc.
>
> The PPL implementation assumes a single thread of
> execution. Therefore, if you want to use it safely in a
> multi-threaded program, you should force all invocations of PPL
> services to come from a fixed thread. Even though there might be
> special cases where it would be safe to use multiple threads, we
> never really investigated this possibility.

Actually we did investigate it and making the library thread-safe
is in our TODO list.  If I remember correctly the main issue is
with the handling of temporaries, which should not be difficult to solve.
Samir, if having the PPL thread-safe is important to you and you
are willing to help a little to achieve that, please let me know.
Cheers,

Applied Formal Methods Laboratory - University of Parma, Italy
mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it
                               BUGSENG srl - http://bugseng.com
                               mailto:roberto.bagnara at bugseng.com