[PPL-devel] Static linking and running on both windows and linux

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Tue Mar 8 22:05:17 CET 2022

Hello Tryer.

What I meant is that you could cross-compile the PPL under Linux for Windows.
We do this routinely.
I redid it just now, so as to be sure:

$ mkdir gmpbuild gmpinstall pplbuild pplinstall
$ cd /home/roberto/gmpbuild
$ /home/roberto/gmp-6.2.1/configure --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --prefix=/home/roberto/gmpinstall --enable-fat --enable-cxx --disable-shared --enable-static
$ make
$ make install
$ cd /home/roberto/pplbuild
$ /home/roberto/ppl/configure --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --prefix=/home/roberto/pplinstall --with-cxxflags=-std=c++11 --with-gmp=/home/roberto/gmpinstall --enable-optimization --disable-debugging --disable-documentation --enable-interfaces="c cxx" --enable-ppl_lcdd --disable-ppl_lpsol --disable-ppl_pips --enable-instantiations=Polyhedron --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-assertions
$ make
$ make install
$ ls -R /home/roberto/pplinstall/
/home/roberto/pplinstall/:
bin  include  lib  share

/home/roberto/pplinstall/bin:
ppl-config.exe  ppl_lcdd.exe

/home/roberto/pplinstall/include:
ppl_c.h  ppl.hh

/home/roberto/pplinstall/lib:
libppl.a  libppl_c.a  libppl_c.la  libppl.la

/home/roberto/pplinstall/share:
aclocal  doc  man

/home/roberto/pplinstall/share/aclocal:
ppl_c.m4  ppl.m4

/home/roberto/pplinstall/share/doc:
ppl

/home/roberto/pplinstall/share/doc/ppl:
BUGS       COPYING  fdl.txt  NEWS    README.configure  TODO
ChangeLog  CREDITS  gpl.txt  README  README.doc

/home/roberto/pplinstall/share/man:
man1  man3

/home/roberto/pplinstall/share/man/man1:
ppl-config.1  ppl_lcdd.1

/home/roberto/pplinstall/share/man/man3:
libppl.3  libppl_c.3

Note:

0) If you are on a Debian-like Linux distro, you need to install
    the g++-mingw-w64 package and possibly others.
1) I am enabling static libraries and disabling shared libraries
    because of the subject of this thread (I usually do the opposite);
2) Your reference to Visual Studio 2019 confuses me: I do not think
    there is binary compatibility between MSVC and MinGW.
    I think you should compiler and link everything with MinGW.

Again: do not use any bzip2 old distribution of PPL: use
the Git version, devel branch.
Kind regards,

    Roberto