[PPL-devel] Thread Safety (continued)

Enea Zaffanella zaffanella at cs.unipr.it
Sat Oct 8 11:15:31 CEST 2016

Hello John.

On 10/07/2016 06:54 PM, John Paulson wrote:
> Hi Enea and Roberto,
>
> Thank you very much for all of the work you have done on threading
> with PPL. I have a couple of questions about the current status of the
> thread safety. A project I am currently working on needs to have
> multiple threads working simultaneously on distinct PPL objects. Is
> that possible with the new thread safe version?

Yes, it is possible.

If the PPL objects are distinct, so that there is no concurrent access
to the *same* object, then things should not be difficult (e.g., no need
at all for synchronization). You can have a look to the ppl_lcdd and
ppl_lpsol demos or to the recently added tests in
tests/Polyhedron/threadsafe*.cc

> I made an implementation of my current project where I fork processes
> instead of using multiple threads. However, if I fork and have two
> processes manipulating distinct PPL objects, I do not get a speedup by
> a factor of two like I would expect. Is there anyway to get that type
> of speedup?

If you use many process, then the PPL should be working fine "as is"
(i.e., with thread-safety off).
As for the missing speedup, I doubt it has something to do with the library:
there should be something else going on, but I have no information to
guess what it could be.

Cheers,
Enea.