[PPL-devel] Printing problem

Jeff Summars ppluser47 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 23:57:30 CEST 2016

Hello,

My name is Jeff Summers, and I'm a PhD student. I'm an experienced user of
the Sage interface to PPL, but I am new to using it directly (and new to
C++). I am aiming low, and trying to print a single constraint as described
in the C++ manual for users (page 218). I simplified the code to:

#include <iostream>
#include <ppl.hh>
using namespace std;
using namespace Parma_Polyhedra_Library;

int main()
{
  Variable x(0);
  Variable y(1);
  Constraint c1(x - 5*y<= 4);

  cout << "Constraint c1: " << c1 << endl;
  return 0l
}

which I attempt to compile using: g++ -g test.cpp -lppl -lgmpxx -lgmp

I get the following:

test.cpp: In function ‘int main()’:
test.cpp:12:29: error: no match for ‘operator<<’ (operand types are
‘std::basic_ostream<char>’ and ‘Parma_Polyhedra_Library::Constraint’)
   cout << "Constraint c1: " << c1 << endl;
[...]

The compiler does not like that I am trying to print c1. I assume that I
have done something foolish, and I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Best,

Jeff