[PPL-devel] Polyhedra formats and ppl_lcdd

Enea Zaffanella zaffanella at cs.unipr.it
Fri Jul 8 17:54:02 CEST 2011

Il 08/07/2011 16:17, Ramakrishna Upadrasta ha scritto:
> Hello PPL Users,

Hello.

> I have been interested in performance of different polyhedra libraries
> and was pleasantly surprised to find the following page:
> http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/performance
>
> I have a couple of points/questions on the same.
>
> 1. Where can I find the file ppl_lcdd.cc? Does it convert polyhedra of
> format X into Y, where X and Y are in {PolyLib, PPL, CDDLib}? How can
> it be used?

The source code file can be found in directory demos/ppl_lcdd,
while the input files are in demos/ppl_lcdd/examples.

The program ppl_lcdd reads in the input files and **using the PPL**
performs the required representation conversion (the file format is
described in the cddlib Reference Manual).

The program can be compiled to use alternative libraries instead of the
PPL. It has preprocessor flags that, if properly set, allow to use it in
conjunction with one of PPL, NewPolka and PolyLib.

==============
//#define USE_POLKA 1
//#define USE_POLYLIB 1

#if (!defined(USE_PPL) && !defined(USE_POLKA) && !defined(USE_POLYLIB))
#define USE_PPL 1
#elif \
   (defined(USE_PPL)   && defined(USE_POLKA)) \
|| (defined(USE_PPL)   && defined(USE_POLYLIB)) \
|| (defined(USE_POLKA) && defined(USE_POLYLIB))
#error "Exactly one among USE_PPL, USE_POLKA and USE_POLYLIB must be
defined."
#endif
==============

It is assumed that the other libraries are installed in the system in
proper places so as to be found during the compilation/linking process.
The program has only been tested with specific versions of those
libraries (not sure at all it compiles and works properly with more
recent versions).

> 2. The link to the code to ppl_lcdd.cc seems to be broken and may need
> to be fixed. I am not sure if the doc files talk about it.

That link got out-of-date when we moved from cvs to git.
Thank you for reporting the issue, we will correct it.
In the meanwhile, you can try the following:

http://www.cs.unipr.it/git/gitweb.cgi?p=ppl/ppl.git;a=blob;f=demos/ppl_lcdd/ppl_lcdd.cc

> 3. Has the comparison been updated? The dates seem to refer to 2009.
> Please refer me to a recent version of the same, if available.

No, the comparison hasn't been updated.
As said in the web page, the comparison dates back to

    * PPL CVS HEAD version of January 24, 2005;
    * New Polka version 2.0.2;
    * PolyLib version 5.20.0;
    * cddlib version 0.93c;
    * lrslib version 0.42;
    * pd version 1.7;
    * tests run on a PC equipped with an AMD Athlon 2800+ with 1 GB of
RAM and running GNU/Linux;

(February 22, 2009 is the last update of the web page)

If you plan to repeat the experimental evaluation, please let us know
how it goes.

Regards,
Enea.