[PPL-devel] PPL broken for Canadian-cross builds

Joseph S. Myers joseph at codesourcery.com
Sun Mar 29 18:32:01 CEST 2009

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009, Roberto Bagnara wrote:

> Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Roberto Bagnara wrote:
> > > thanks for the detailed explanation.  I admit we always have postoponed
> > > the
> > > issue of cross-compilation... to the point we almost forgot it.  We will
> > > fix the PPL asap.  Can we come back to you in case we are unsure about
> > > which
> > > defaults can be considered safe?
> >
> > I can test whether a candidate fixed tarball works (to build PPL and GCC in
> > such an environment) in this case; [...]
>
> Hi there,
>
> the PPL 0.10.1 snapshots available at
>
>     ftp://ftp.cs.unipr.it/pub/ppl/snapshots/
>
> contain all the fixes to problems and glitches that have been reported to
> us and may affect GCC.  Concerning cross-compilation, we have fixed the
> configuration procedure and made several portability improvements: we
> have tested these changes cross-compiling for arm-elf and i686-pc-mingw32.
>
> Please let us know if this is OK as far as GCC 4.4 is concerned.
> All the best,

I can confirm that PPL now builds successfully for i686-mingw32 host.  The
next problem is that CLooG (the tarball in the infrastructure directory)
doesn't appear portable to this system (in the secondary platforms list
for 4.4 and 4.5); I get:

source/program.c:42:27: error: sys/resource.h: No such file or directory
source/program.c:674: error: 'RUSAGE_SELF' undeclared (first use in this function)

This does not appear to be a cross build problem; it appears this file
uses this header, not available on MinGW, unconditionally with no
configure checks.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph at codesourcery.com