[PPL-devel] PPL broken for Canadian-cross builds

Joseph S. Myers joseph at codesourcery.com
Fri Mar 20 16:27:36 CET 2009

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Roberto Bagnara wrote:

> The point is that we had since long decided to make PPL 0.11, due to the
> many little glitches people has reported and due to the fact that the
> changes would not allow to preserve the ABI.  Backporting all the changes
> to PPL 0.10 would be a lot of work and error-prone.  Given that the release
> of GCC 4.4 is being delayed, what is the problem in having PPL 0.11 has a
> prerequisite instead of PPL 0.10?  Notice that we can give a strong guarantee
> that no change is going to affect the code generated by GCC.

It would for example mean that people who had built PPL 0.10 for use with
GCC, or installed a package from their GNU/Linux distribution, would find
what they had built was no longer suitable and their distribution might
not have a newer package.  I'll leave the final decision up to the
Graphite maintainers; I don't think this is something that should delay
the release, or be changed after 4.4.0 is out, so if 4.4.0 goes out with
0.10 as the recommended version then the 4.4 series should stay with the
recommended version being that not-cross-buildable version and 0.11
requiring using --disable-ppl-version-check.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph at codesourcery.com