[PPL-devel] [Fwd: Updating ppl to 0.10preXX in Fedora?]

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Sun Sep 7 22:26:48 CEST 2008

Roberto Bagnara wrote:
> Can you update the Fedora ppl package to version 0.10preXX?
> gcc guys seem to require it, currently available 0.9.x
> seems to be a bit old. They say:
>
> "currently, gcc configure will just disable the new optimizations
> if sufficiently new ppl isn't found, but that might change soon
> into just refusing to configure."

Dear Denys,

we are currently working full time to produce PPL 0.10.  After that,
we will update the Fedora packages.  If things are _really_ urgent
we could package a prerelease, but we would prefer to avoid that.

> It seems that SUSE already did some packaging work on this, see
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/rguenther/openSUSE_10.3/src/

I had a look at the spec file, and it seems just a quick hack.
Notice that PPL 0.10 is significantly more complex than PPL 0.9:
in particular, there are new interfaces for OCaml and Java.

> I see that Roberto has done the packaging for Fedora.
> If he doesn't have a time to do the update,
> I can do it myself, if he doesn't mind me poking
> into his spec.  Just drop me a note.

I will do the update myself, but I would like to receive
help and advice, especially as far as the Java and OCaml
interfaces are concerned.

P.S. Please direct all PPL-related messages to ppl-devel at cs.unipr.it.

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it