[PPL-devel] Ocaml docs being built even though interface is not enabled

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Oct 29 21:30:23 CET 2008

[...]
> [NOTE: the actual reason I am telling all of this is that I would like
> to know if there are better ways of solving the issue ...]

I guess I don't really know all of the story, but I simply wonder why you
distribute the pre-built docs at all? Why not have them built, just like all the
other stuff? To me it seems that building the documentation takes quite some
time, but the checks take even more, so why bother?

One other note (I'm not sure whether this still applies to pre36, it was true as
of pre35): You overwrite the all target of doc/Makefile by a no-op, which is
inconsistent with the other targets, which have their usual meaning. To some
extent, it makes sense because you intoduce more targets (like user-configured,
etc.). But wouldn't it also be an option to just remove doc from the SUBDIRS
entry in the top-level Makefile.am and have users always do the stuff manually
in doc/? Which, of course, means that we need to run make -C doc clean, make -C
doc install, etc. Just an idea.

Best,
Michael