[PPL-devel] [SWIPL] Re: GMP memory allocation problem in SWI-Prolog 5.6.38 and following versions

Jan Wielemaker wielemak at science.uva.nl
Mon Oct 8 13:37:15 CEST 2007

Hi Roberto,

On Monday 08 October 2007 11:57, Roberto Bagnara wrote:
> Jan Wielemaker wrote:
> > On Tuesday 02 October 2007 10:25, Roberto Bagnara wrote:
> >> Perhaps I am missing something, but this will break the overall
> >> application completely.  I think SWI-Prolog should have his own
> >> private version of GMP if it wants to change the allocation functions.
> >
> > Thats not possible, at least not using ELF binaries as in Linux.  Unless
> > you make a copy of the GMP sources and rename all global identifiers.
>
> It can be done without copying the sources: see
>
>      http://www.cs.unipr.it/pipermail/ppl-devel/2007-October/011244.html

You're free to do with GMP and/or SWI-Prolog whatever you wish, but I'm
not going that route.  Smells like a can or worms to turn this into a
portable solution and 99% of the users simply want to start Prolog and
use the system wide shared gmp object.

> I am more and more convinced that only the overall application should
> be allowed to invoke mp_memory_functions(): any component doing so
> can only do that reliably with a private GMP version.
> Cheers,

Even that is probably generally not safe :-(

	--- Jan