[PPL-devel] SICStus interface

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Thu Oct 20 08:19:12 CEST 2005

Tristan Denmat wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to use the interface between PPL and SICStus. Following what
> is said in the manual, there should be an .pl file in the /bin directory
> but there is not. Does it mean that I forgot to put a flag or something
> like this ?
> Thanks,
> Tristan Denmat

Dear Tristan,

which version of the PPL are you using?  I am asking because I wonder
where did you read that a .pl file would be installed in the /bin
directory.  I attach below the relevant section of the manual, taken
from the PPL 0.7 distribution and also available at

     http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/Documentation/user/

Please do not hesitate to come back to us if you need further
explanations.

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it

Compilation and Installation

When the Parma Polyhedra Library is configured, it tests for the
existence of each supported Prolog system. If a supported Prolog
system is correctly installed in a standard location, things are
arranged so that the corresponding interface is built and installed.

In the sequel, prefix is the prefix under which you have installed the
library (typically /usr or /usr/local).

As an option, the Prolog interface can track the creation and disposal
of polyhedra. In fact, differently from native Prolog data, PPL
polyhedra must be explicitly disposed and forgetting to do so is a
very common mistake. To enable this option, configure the library
adding -DPROLOG_TRACK_ALLOCATION to the options passed to the C++
compiler. Your configure command would then look like

[...]

SICStus Prolog

The SICStus Prolog interface to the PPL is available both as a
statically linked module or as a dynamically linked one. Only SICStus
Prolog versions 3.9.0 and later are supported.

The Statically Linked ppl_sicstus Executable

If an appropriate version of SICStus Prolog is installed on the
machine on which you compiled the library, the command make install
will install the executable ppl_sicstus in the directory
prefix/bin. The ppl_sicstus executable is simply the SICStus Prolog
system with the Parma Polyhedra library statically linked. The only
thing you should do to use the library is to load
prefix/lib/ppl/ppl_sicstus.pl.

In order to dynamically load the library from SICStus Prolog you
should simply load prefix/lib/ppl/ppl_sicstus.pl. Notice that, for
dynamic linking to work, you should have configured the library with
the --enable-shared option.