[PPL-devel] question about ppl and prolog.

P M Hill hill at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Apr 27 08:45:20 CEST 2005

Dear Jie,

We would be happy to help you get started with the PPL, but you do not
give us much information.

I assume you have successfully installed the PPL and at least one of the
Prolog interfaces. Is this correct? Then, in this case, we need to know
which Prolog interfaces you have installed. The way we use the Prolog
interface for the PPL partly depends on the Prolog system itself.

There are several examples of Prolog programs that use the PPL included in
the `ppl/interfaces/Prolog/tests' directory (clpq.pl, clpq2.pl and
pl_check.pl). Any extra code needed for the specific Prolog system to be
used are in the appropriate subdirectories. You can see these being run if
you do a "make check" for the Prolog System you have installed. I suggest
you look at at least one of these examples to see how things work before
writing your own interface. Note that the program pl_check.pl executes
every one of the Prolog predicates provided by the PPL and, hence,
provides examples of their use.

As regards "initializing" the library, normally, in the Prolog code,
before using any of the main PPL predicates, you should first call the
proposition:
  ppl_initialize.
This, in fact, initializes the PPL system.

Information about the installation and use of the Prolog systems is also
in the documentation. Have a look at the section on "System-Dependent
Features" for your Prolog system you are using.

If you want more help, let us know which Prolog system you are
using and if you can run "make check" successfully on this system.

All the best,
   Pat