[PPL-devel] PROBLEM with installation

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Wed Jun 16 16:51:00 CEST 2004

Joycee Mekie wrote:
> I have configured gmp-4.1.2 using the following cmd.
>  configure --enable-cxx
>  make
>
> For configuring ppl-0.5 i use the following cmd
>
> configure --with-gmp-includes=../gmp-4.1.2/
> 		--with-gmp-dir=../gmp-4.1.2/.libs/
>
> for which i get the below listed error.
>
> I have written test program in C which includes gmp.h and
> it works fine. So, GMP has been properly installed.

Dear Joycee,

you should try a C++ program that includes gmpxx.h.
This is the right test to check whether GMP _and_
its C++ interface have been properly installed.

> Could you kindly let me know what options need
> to be specified with configure for ppl.
>
> I am attaching the tar.gz files of gmp and ppl for your perusal.
>
> Waiting for your reply.

Usually the problem is due to the fact that the dynamic
linker has not been instructed about the location where
you have installed your version of GMP.
Assuming that you have installed gmp-4.1.2 in

     /some/directory/gmp-4.1.2

the directory `/some/directory/gmp-4.1.2/lib' will contain
some files called `libgmpxx.so*'.  If so, you should do two
things:

1) Add the directory `/some/directory/gmp-4.1.2/lib' to the
    environment variable `LD_LIBRARY_PATH'.  If your are using
    the bash shell, you can add the line

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/some/directory/gmp-4.1.2/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

    to your $HOME/.bash_profile and, at your next login,
    everything should work as expected.

2) Configure the PPL with a command like

   configure --with-gmp-includes=/some/directory/gmp-4.1.2/include \
             --with-gmp-dir=/some/directory/gmp-4.1.2/lib

   (i.e., avoid relative paths and forget about the .libs directory),
   and

If your problem persist, please come back to us and include
the file `config.log' that is generated by PPL's configure
script (do not include other files).

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it