[PPL-devel] Re: PPL-devel Digest, Vol 7, Issue 2

Roberto Bagnara roberto at spartacus.cs.unipr.it
Wed Jan 14 14:39:50 CET 2004

Elena Fersman wrote:
> I have downloaded the latest release version of the library (0.5). I do
> not have problems with compiling the library. But when i try to compile
> the following program:
> #include"ppl.hh"
> main(void){}
>
> with the command gcc file.c -lgmp -lgmpxx -lppl
>
> i am getting lots of syntax errors.

Dear Elena,

it is now quite clear why you are getting lots of compilation errors.
If you name a file "file.c" and use the command "gcc" to compile it,
then the compiler interprets the file as a C program.  The include file
"ppl.hh" is the include file for the C++ interface of the library.

There are thus two possibilities:

1) You want to use the C++ interface: then include, as you are doing,
   "ppl.hh" but name your source "file.cc" and/or use the "g++" command
   instead of "gcc".

2) You want to use the C interface: then include "ppl_c.h" instead of
   "ppl.hh" and you are done.

> Compilation of test programs with make test goes well, but there are too
> many compilation options. Could you please help me with the minimal
> example to start using the library?

Your program is the minimal program using the library, even though it
does nothing.  Just compile it with g++ using the same options you
are giving to gcc and it should be OK.  More interesting examples
are given in the documentation and, as I said, the tests subdirectory
is full of examples you can adapt.  I am now writing from an uncomfortable
environment, but I can send you something if you still have problems
once I am back from the conference.

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it