[PPL-devel] Re: CVS config messages

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Fri Feb 6 14:17:48 CET 2004

Axel Simon wrote:
> Most of the messages which are sent to the ppl-devel list are cvs commit
> messages which are not relevant to most users of the PPL.

Dear Axel,

the point is that the ppl-devel list is for /developers/ or people that
want to closely follow the development process, not for ordinary users.

> I think it's
> nice to see the occasional message about who uses the PPL for what purpose
> and what problems arise which is why don't want to unsubscribe. But to
> reduce the amount of mails, could you create a separate ppl-commit list
> and redirect the CVS messages to that list?

It's a small project: developers really need to see the commit message of
all the other developers, so the ppl-devel list will continue to receive
all the commit logs.  In principle, we could create a ppl-discuss mailing
list, but our user base is so little that I think it could receive only
a handful of messages per year.

I believe there are basically three solutions to your problem:

1) choose to receive the messages of ppl-devel in digest form:
    this will limit the amount of messages you get to one per day
    (unless there is more than 100 KB of messages in one single day,
    which will hardly ever happen);

2) instruct your mail filters to erase or put into a special folder
    all messages whose subject begins with "[PPL-devel] ppl/" or
    "[PPL-devel] w3ppl/";

3) unsubscribe, if you only want to know who uses the PPL and for
    what purpose, and monitor our "Credits" page regularly:
    http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/Credits/.

By the way, how is your Haskell binding going?  Is it finished?
Are you happy with it?

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it