[PPL-devel] Re: PPL 0.2

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Mon Jan 28 18:53:28 CET 2002

Remko Troncon wrote:
> As promised, i looked at PPL 0.2. I am experiencing some troubles
> compiling a very small test file against PPL though. Something goes
> wrong when g++ tries to link my file.
> I have attached the test program and the message log. Maybe you can tell me
> what i'm doing wrong ?

Dear Remko,

the first thing that comes to mind is that you may have compiled
the PPL library with one compiler (e.g., g++-2.96.98) and the program
test.cpp with another one (e.g., g++-3.0.3).  I say this because
your link command starts with `g++-3.0', whereas the configuration
and compilation mechanism of the PPL has probably invoked `g++'.

In an attempt to reproduce the problem, I have tried the following:

tar zxf ppl-0.2.tar.gz
cd ppl-0.2
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/ppl
make
su
<pwd>
make install
exit
cd ..
g++ -I/usr/local/ppl/include -c test.cpp
g++ -L/usr/local/ppl/lib -L/usr/local/gmp/lib test.o -o t -lgmp -lppl
<output follows>
-A + B >= 0
-B >= -10
B >= 0
A >= 0

On my system, g++ _is_ g++-3.0.3 so that the library and test.cpp
have been compiled with the same compiler.  I have also tried
compiling the PPL with a pre-3 version of the compiler and the
errors I get are similar to yours (though not identical).
Can you please try the commands `g++-3.0 -v' and `g++ -v'?
If the outputs are different that may be the problem (the ABI
of g++-3.x is not backward compatible with previous versions).

If the above diagnosis makes sense, you can overcome the problem
by adding `--with-cxx=g++-3.0' to the configure options for the PPL.
If my diagnosis does not make sense, please come back to us.
All the best

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it