[PPL-devel] Re: several messages

P M Hill hill at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jun 11 11:59:40 CEST 2001

Hi all,

> Log message:
> 	Assume almost nothing from the input: only generators are up to date
> 	and not even necessarily minimized.
>
> 	Wild guess: perhaps add_and_minimize() does not minimize?

> > [Roberto]
> > bug3.dat [...]
> >   Assume almost nothing from the input: only generators are up to date
> >   and not even necessarily minimized.
> >   Wild guess: perhaps add_and_minimize() does not minimize?
> I tried that too, a few days ago.
> But my wild guess was slightly different: minimize() does not minimize!
> If you follow the way x changes, you see that, after the execution of
> x.minimize(), the constraints system of x is of course "up-to-date" and
> "minimized", but it's different from the "normal" minimized form: i.e.,
> x.minimize() gives as output exactly the matrix we don't like.
> Please note: I didn't check everything with the latest versions of our
> code, and I had messed up the code quite a bit before testing; so, try
> by yourself before speculating. I may be wrong.
>   Andrea.

sorry, but can someone help me here - what do you mean by "minimize"?
I cannot find it defined anywhere.

I looked at the documentation for add_and_minimize and it does not claim
that the resulting set of constraints is "minimized".
(although the name add_and_minimize does suggest this will be the case...)

ciao
  Pat