[PPL-devel] Support for Cartesian Factoring of Polyhedra? thread safe?

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Mon Nov 10 08:34:18 CET 2014

Hello Antonio,

sorry for the delay on answering your message: my fault.

On 10/13/14 11:28, aeflores wrote:
> My name is Antonio Flores-Montoya and I am a PhD student at the
> Technical University of Darmstadt. I have been using PPL for a while
> and I have a couple questions concerning its PPL functionality:
>
> - In the paper of 2008 describing the parma polyhedra library you
>   mention that you planed to implement the techniques described in
>   "Cartesian factoring of polyhedra in linear relation analysis" I
>   have been looking for it in the documentation but I haven't found
>   anything about it. What is the state of this feature? Implemented,
>   planned?

The feature was originally planned but was never implemented
for lack of demand and resources.  It should not be very difficult
to implement though: we just need someone willing to work on in.

> - I tried to use the library from a multi-threaded prolog
>   application. When I do that, I get different kinds of crashes that
>   do not happen with a single-threaded version of the same
>   program. Is PPL thread safe?
>   In case it is, are there any considerations that I should take into
>   account for using PPL from a multi-threaded application?

Unfortunately the PPL is not thread safe, even though it is very
close at being so.  A student of the University of Parma is working
at making it thread safe.
Kind regards,

Applied Formal Methods Laboratory - University of Parma, Italy
mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it
                              BUGSENG srl - http://bugseng.com
                              mailto:roberto.bagnara at bugseng.com