[PPL-devel] ppl-0.11, ppl-0.12.1

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Fri May 23 17:31:27 CEST 2014

Hello John.

On 05/23/14 16:32, John wrote:
> I'm trying to build the ppl and cloog requires for building gcc, and
> have found that both ppl 0.11 and 0.12.1 builds crash because of a
> boatload of errors in the ppl_lpsol demo. The errors look like
> this. These are from ppl-0.12.1 and there are many more errors.
>
> ppl_lpsol.c:583: error: implicit declaration of function ‘lpx_set_int_parm’
> ppl_lpsol.c:583: error: ‘glpk_lp’ undeclared (first use in this function)
> ppl_lpsol.c:583: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> ppl_lpsol.c:583: error: for each function it appears in.)
> ppl_lpsol.c:583: error: ‘LPX_K_MSGLEV’ undeclared (first use in this function)
> ppl_lpsol.c:585: error: ‘LPX_LP’ undeclared (first use in this function)
> ppl_lpsol.c:588: error: implicit declaration of function ‘lpx_set_obj_dir’

PPL 0.11 and PPL 0.12.1 are very old releases.  Apparently you are using
a newer version of GNU GLPK, which has a different and incompatible API.
Both PPL 0.11 and PPL 0.12.1 were tested with versions of of GLPK that were
current at the time of release.

> Why did you release software packages with these easily discoverable
> defects? I wasted several hours this morning compiling and got
> nothing.

You are not saying this seriously, are you?

You can:

1) disable ppl_lpsol if you (as I guess) do not need it: read the file
   README.configure for details;

2) downgrade GNU GLPK to a version that was current when the version
   of the PPL you want to use was released;

3) upgrade PPL: we recommend the latest release, PPL 1.1.

> OS: Debian Linux 6.0.9
> compilers: GCC-4.4.5 GCC and G++
>
> John Tellefson
> Salina, KS USA

I hope this helps.  Feel free to come back to us (ppl-devel at cs.unipr.it)
if you need furher assistance.
Kind regards,

Applied Formal Methods Laboratory - University of Parma, Italy
mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it
                              BUGSENG srl - http://bugseng.com
                              mailto:roberto.bagnara at bugseng.com