[PPL-devel] Polyhedra with non-integral coefficients

Alet Roux alet.roux at york.ac.uk
Tue Nov 8 14:37:45 CET 2011

Dear Pat,

Thank you for the prompt response!

> Yes, the coefficients of constraints and generators have to be integers
> (mpz_class in the default configuration). However, the PPL implements a
> domain of convex _rational_ polyhedra. The restriction to integer
> coefficients is just for the representation and input/output. We can do
> this since any constraint having rational coefficients can be normalized
> so as to have integer coefficients. For generators, the same is achieved
> by including an integer divisor, (which by default is 1, but not
> necessarily so).
Thank you for pointing this out - I missed the presence of integer
divisors. With the divisors, the library completely serves our needs.

> I see from your email that you already have written your own algorithms
> for intersection and convex-hull. These as well as union are operations
> provided by the PPL. Documentation for these is in the PPL; but if you
> miss the exact information needed to make full use of the PPL, you
> should not hesitate to ask.
Apologies, I was unclear: in fact I should have said we have algorithms
that *make use* of intersection, convex-hull, etc. These algorithms are
exactly the reason why I am interested in using the PPL.

Best wishes

Alet

--
Dr. Alet Roux