[PPL-devel] How to install binary w/o root access?

Pengcheng Wu wuwuengr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 09:55:48 CET 2011

First off, I am new to linux stuff. Forgive me for silly questions.

Our linux machine has gcc 3.4. I want to install gcc 4.5 in my own
directories--I don't have root access.

For that matter, I was told I need, among others, ppl 0.10+.

However, when I try to make ppl 0.11, it complains:
*internal compiler error: in invert_truthvalue, at fold-const.c:2700*..

I did a search and found this is caused by gcc version too old. Dead end
there.

So guess I have to install a binary release of ppl.  But the package I
downloaded:
ppl-0.10.2-10.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
won't allow me to install on a different directory with --prefix option.

What can I do?

btw, the linux machine runs Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant
Update 3)

Thanks much!
-Pengcheng