[PPL-devel] Compiling PPL with OS X Lion

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Mon Dec 19 16:02:52 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 03:38:34PM +0100, Roberto Bagnara wrote:
> On 12/19/11 15:27, Jack Howarth wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 02:11:45PM +0400, Fred Mesnard wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> I am considering upgrading to OS X 10.7 (Lion).
>>> Will I be able to compile the PPL?
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Fred,
>>    One caveat about building ppl under Lion with the system llvm-gcc is that
>> -frounding-math support doesn't exist in the llvm-based compilers yet. So
>> either you have to pass --disable-fpmath to configure with llvm-gcc/clang or build
>> with gcc-4.2 which has a functional -frounding-math option. Note that Xcode
>> 4.2 and later no longer provide gcc-4.2 so that option is problematic.
>
> Right.  In the Git version of the PPL (to be released as PPL 0.12), clang
> is automatically recognized so that explicitly passing --disable-fpmath
> will no longer be required.
>
> The point is, though: does Fred need to use any of the PPL abstractions
> based on machine floating-point numbers?

Roberto,
  Well, in fink the only real use for ppl is for FSF gcc's graphite support.
I have been told that graphite doesn't use any the floating-point abstractions
in PPL and we see no graphite gcc testsuite regressions from using a PPL
built with --disable-fpmath.
            Jack
ps FYI, it appears that FSF gcc may switch graphite from PPL to ISL in gcc 4.8
or at least 4.9. This wasn't completed in time for gcc 4.7.