[PPL-devel] building PPL with MSYS/mingw(-w64)

Ruben Van Boxem vanboxem.ruben at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 11:08:39 CEST 2011

2011/4/17 Roberto Bagnara <bagnara at cs.unipr.it>:
> On 04/17/11 14:06, Ruben Van Boxem wrote:
>>
>> 2011/4/17 Roberto Bagnara<bagnara at cs.unipr.it>:
>>>
>>> Can you please teach me how I could reproduce your observations?
>>> Note that I am not a regular user of MinGW, so feel free to provide
>>> me with all the gory details :-)
>>> Cheers,
>>
>> OK, gory details, here they come:
>
> Hi Ruben.
>
>> 0. I'm using Windows x64, I assume you are too. If not, you can try
>> and see if "i686-w64-mingw32" produces the same error, but I don't
>> know that for sure.
>
> The only Windows machine I have has Windows 7 32-bit.
>
>> 1. Download the MSYS all-in-one package from here:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/External%20binary%20packages%20%28Win64%20hosted%29/MSYS%20%2832-bit%29/MSYS-20110309.zip/download
>> 2. extract it to a location that suits you, for example
>> M:\Development\msys, so that M:\Development\msys\bin contains stuff
>> like sh.exe.
>> 3. Download a mingw-w64 toolchain (i686-mingw32: runs on 32-bit and
>> 64-bit, x86_64-mingw32, runs only on 64-bit:
>>
>>  - Windows native x64 toolchain (both produce 64-bit binaries):
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/Toolchains%20targetting%20Win64/Personal%20Builds/sezero_4.5_20101002/
>>  - Windows native 32-bit toolchains (produces 32-bit binaries):
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/Toolchains%20targetting%20Win32/Personal%20Builds/sezero_4.5_20101002/
>>
>> 4. Extract the toolchain to for example M:\Development\mingw64, so
>> that M:\Development\mingw64\bin contains gcc.exe
>> 5. Double-click on M:\Development\msys\msys.bat. A unix-like shell
>> will appear in a Windows console window. the root directory "/" is
>> equivalent to "M:\Development\msys", which can be referenced as
>> "/m/Development/msys" from within the MSYS shell.
>> 6. Download gmp-5.0.1 and ppl-0.11.2 tarballs and place them in
>> /home/<username>/src
>> 7. untar them like you would on linux.
>> 8. make a build directory /home/<username>/build
>> 9. Build gmp (replace<username>  in the --prefix argument!):
>
> I arrived here.  The build of GMP 5.0.1 completed correctly,
> but `make check' fails miserably when testing the C++ interface.
>
> Can you please try and let me know if you also observe this?

Unfortunately I do. Running "make check" skipped over the cxx
directory, running the tests manually showed the problem. I have
contacted the mingw-w64 project about how to fix this, and will get
this sorted, and check back with you when all that has happened to see
if PPL still complains. I am not sure that this test problem in GMP is
relevant though (I've had a lot of tests just be non-Windows
compatible if you know what I mean (printf incompatibilities, wrong
assumptions about functions available in newer msvcrt versions etc...)

Thanks for the help so far.

Ruben