[PPL-devel] [Fink-devel] ppl-0.10.2 check thorough test fail

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Sat Apr 2 09:06:01 CEST 2011

On 04/02/11 08:29, Enea Zaffanella wrote:
> Il 01/04/2011 21:58, David Fang ha scritto:
>> Thank you for helping to resolve this issue.  I bet the reason I did not
>> see this failure on powerpc-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 was because I happened to
>> test it against an older glpk (<  4.29) way back then. I can at least
>> patch the test case to work with glpk>= 4.29 (and require said version
>> in our TestDepends), and move on from there.  Is this test also present
>> in ppl-0.11.x?  Will it require the same adjustment?
>
> The two tests (ex1.mps and unboundedmin.mps) were adapted by Roberto on
> January 2010, but that changes did not get into PPL 0.10.2.
> There relevant commits are:
>
> http://www.cs.unipr.it/git/gitweb.cgi?p=ppl/ppl.git;a=commit;h=97ce932e012943328164d387cfe9a8d2196ca171
>
> http://www.cs.unipr.it/git/gitweb.cgi?p=ppl/ppl.git;a=commit;h=56ee86b9ccf001c8dc2ab1558332e9691b2eff3f
>
> Hence, the output of PPL 0.11.x should be stable even when using the
> newer glpk versions.

Thanks Enea: I had completely forgotten all that.
Can you please add an item to
http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/Bugs/archive?

I am glad to know that the code produced for PPL 0.10.2 is OK.

Said that, the following is a common misconception:

On 03/29/11 21:44, David Fang wrote:
> According to Jack Howarth (on this list, I believe), gcc-4.4 depends
> on ppl-0.10.x and is incompatible with ppl-0.11.x.

Having studied the way PPL is used in GCC 4.4 I can tell you there
is absolutely no incompatibility.  In other words, if you just change
the configuration stuff that insists in wanting PPL 0.10.2 so that
PPL 0.11.* is also accepted, there is no way a GCC 4.4 user can complain.
In summary, at this stage insisting on using PPL 0.10.2 is a mistake.

Thanks for your report, David.  And thanks to Alexander for testing
on the PowerPC.

Applied Formal Methods Laboratory
mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it