[PPL-devel] [Fink-devel] ppl-0.10.2 check thorough test fail

David Fang fang at csl.cornell.edu
Fri Apr 1 21:58:14 CEST 2011

>>> Well ... ppl_lpsol uses glpk to parse the input file.
>>> Apparently, the installed glpk is parsing the input file differently.
>>> Which version of glpk do you have?
>>>
>>> If I am to guess, I would say that the installed glpk is flagging the
>>> two variables as being *binary* variables, rather than *integer* ones.
>>> But this is just a guess, I will have to check the documentation for the
>>> input file format as well as the changelog for glpk.
>>
>> I have glpk-4.44:
>
> So, my guess was correct and it turns out that Roberto had already asked
> about the problem on a glpk mailing list:
>
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-glpk/2010-01/msg00005.html
>
> Here is the answer
>
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-glpk/2010-01/msg00006.html
>
> saying that glpk 4.29 changed its mps file reading routines.
> I suspect there is a typo in the answer and maybe 4.39 or above was
> meant (because I have 4.38 installed and my variables are not detected
> as binary).
>
> So, the good news is that the ppl is not miscompiled on your system.
> The bad news is that the output of ppl_lpsol now depends on glpk version.
>
> Enea.

Thank you for helping to resolve this issue.  I bet the reason I did not
see this failure on powerpc-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 was because I happened to
test it against an older glpk (< 4.29) way back then. I can at least patch
the test case to work with glpk >= 4.29 (and require said version in our
TestDepends), and move on from there.  Is this test also present in
ppl-0.11.x?  Will it require the same adjustment?

Fang

David Fang
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
http://www.achronix.com/