[PPL-devel] ppl "remainder bug" checking on mingw targets

Ruben Van Boxem vanboxem.ruben at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 16:46:07 CEST 2010

2010/9/15 Ruben Van Boxem <vanboxem.ruben at gmail.com>

> I am now trying to compile ppl with a trusted compiler (sezero's private
> build from mingw-w64.sourceforge.net) and came accross this error:

The cause of the error is located: the mingw-w64 headers used the assumption
that "restrict" is a keyword in C++ (but it is only a keyword in C99), and
defined something accordingly (don't know what exactly). All the references
in the error message are to a member function named "restrict", which was
problematic. "restrict" is a keyword in C99,  but as ppl is C++, it should
be ok (as long as the std doesn't add it later).

The mingw-w64 headers have been changed to remove the problem (patch is
underway).

Additionally, unlike mpfr and mpc, which detect automatically if GMP has
been built statically and/or dynamically, ppl does not, and I had to add
"--disable-shared" to my configure arguments for ppl. Is there a way to
mimic the mpfr and mpc behavior to autodetect this? Thanks.

I have also run "make check", which passes all tests on x86_64-w64-mingw32
(this is with ppl release 0.11 and GCC 4.4.5 (prerelease dated 20100912)
built from MSYS).

Ruben