[PPL-devel] SWI-Prolog test failing (only!) on powerpc

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Fri Feb 19 17:50:21 CET 2010

> On 02/13/10 22:12, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> >The attached patch includes this change plus an additional hack that was
> >necessary to make PPL build on GNU/Hurd, which doesn't define SA_SIGINFO.
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> thanks for the info.  I have just pushed a change that should
> address the problem on GNU/Hurd:
>
> http://www.cs.unipr.it/git/gitweb.cgi?p=ppl/ppl.git;a=commit;h=7ba6445b1c5adb835e27d2f005779d4343721d21

Thanks a lot, I'll include that patch in the next upload instead of my own hack.

> Concerning the problem with SWI-Prolog, we would need a way
> to reproduce it.

[...]

Does that mean that you don't have a PowerPC system at hand or just cannot
reproduce it on any of those. Anyhow, this is a very strange problem as the
very same PPL version worked fine in earlier builds. What has changed, however,
is the SWI Prolog version. But as this is the same on other architectures as
well, it must be some combination of PowerPC/SWI Prolog that causes this
problem.

It's probably fine to just ignore this test and go ahead, and maybe changing the
circumstances will make the problem go away by itself. Preferably, however, I'd
debug it. My problem is that I don't really know where to start. I have finally
understood how this test is generated, but is there some way of manually
repeating the test in the Prolog interpreter? It's quite a while ago that I did
my last steps in Prolog and back then it was just very little experiments. I
tried to copy the test program line by line into the interpreter (to produce
some more output at appropriate points), but then it already fails right after
the first line (the "member" definition).

If I could get some directions how to debug the Prolog stuff (I'd love to
understand how to that!) I can probably give you a lot more information about
the actual root cause of this failure.

Best,
Michael