[PPL-devel] checking for version 0.10 of PPL... no

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Sun Dec 12 19:46:41 CET 2010

I see this in the configure stage of GCC 4.5.2 20101208 :

.
.
.
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
checking whether CC accepts -g... no
checking for x86_64-linux-gnu-gnatbind... no
checking for gnatbind... no
checking for x86_64-linux-gnu-gnatmake... no
checking for gnatmake... no
checking whether compiler driver understands Ada... no
checking how to compare bootstrapped objects... cmp --ignore-initial=16
$$f1 $$f2
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for version 0.10 of PPL... no
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
.
.
.

As a bit of a followup to the ppl issues I ran into on Solaris I can now
report something on Linux ( Debian Squeeze ) in which the most recent GCC
4.5.2 Release Candidate seems to go looking for ppl 0.10 in the configure
stage. This of course will not be found because the latest RC for ppl is
in fact 0.11.1. Not sure how one is to build and test the ppl Release
Candidate and then have it become part of the build within the GCC 4.5.2
Release Candidate on Linux or Solaris.

My objective is to have a complete GCC with ppl and cloog implemented
across both Linux and Solaris with equal performance results in terms of
clean testsuite. I think that a package release into the Solaris world
would be of some great value. I am using the Debian Squeeze build process
as a test reference control data point. I am labouring under the
assumption that all of this should 'just work' with a recent and solid
Linux and that the struggles will be in the baseline Solaris world.

Suggestions are of course needed here.

--
Dennis Clarke
dclarke at opensolaris.ca  <- Email related to the open source Solaris