[PPL-devel] PPL on a Power6 running AIX

Davide Del Vento ddvento at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 16 22:57:31 CEST 2009

Thanks for your message!

xlc and xlC are the IBM's compilers for c and c++ respectively.
They do support several standards:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/lnxpcomp/v8v101/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.xlcpp8l.doc/getstart/overview/gs_ovr.htm

and sometimes are more nitpicking than gcc about the standards,
as I believe it's happening here.
Anyway, I was able to remove several of those errors with the enclosed
patch. Can you please have a look at it just to be sure that I didn't
change what ppl was supposed to do?
Unfortunately, though, the problem is NOT solved, since there are other
(possibly similar) problems that you can see in the make.log
Do you have any clue about them?

Compiling with gcc is possible, but there will be several
linking problems with other libraries that I eventually
need to link together (gcc binaries are not-linkable with
xlC binaries).

Thanks again
Davide Del Vento, Consulting Services Software Engineer
NCAR Computational & Information Services Laboratory
http://www.cisl.ucar.edu/hss/csg/
office: Mesa Lab, Room 42B
phone:  (303) 497-1233
mobile: (720) 240-1704