[PPL-devel] Fix needed to build gcc for x86/solaris

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Thu Oct 22 21:50:05 CEST 2009

Daniel Gutson wrote:
> Roberto Bagnara wrote:
>> Daniel Gutson wrote:
>>>   there's a problem (already fixed in git) that impedes gcc to build
>>> for x86/solaris. The fix is
>>>
>>> http://www.cs.unipr.it/git/gitweb.cgi?p=ppl/ppl.git;a=commit;h=9a08d1d3a98ca1af8ff0cb94017888528c6875a7
>>>

>>> Is there an ETA estimate for this fix to be released (0.10.3)? That
>>> would be very helpful.
>>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> we plan to release PPL 0.11 at the beginning of 2010.  This will
>> of course contain the fix you mention.
>
>    then gcc for x86/solaris won't have Graphite until then. Please let
> me know if any intermediate release shows up.

Hi Daniel,

I have just reread your message and your conclusion seems to strong.
Please let me try to understand.  From what you say I gather that Solaris
does not have a packaging system that is able to apply patches to a source
distribution, right?  Would it be OK for you if we do the following:

1) download PPL 0.10.2;
2) unpack it;
3) apply the patch;
4) run `make dist';
5) rename all the archive files ppl-0.10.2.X so obtained as
    ppl-0.10.2.solaris.X;
6) upload those renamed archive files to the PPL download site?

Solaris users would then be advised to download the *.solaris.* files,
and 15 person/days (this is a rough estimate of the time needed to make
an extra release) would be saved.
What do you think?

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it