[PPL-devel] fine-tuning for "configure.ac"

Markus Elfring Markus.Elfring at web.de
Mon May 4 22:45:52 CEST 2009

> Which file would you move and why?

I propose to group the auxiliary files that belong to the macro
"AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR" into their own subdirectory. Would you like to
support a clearer file hierarchy?

> What would we gain from this extra quoting?
> For example, what is the advantage of
>
> AC_MSG_RESULT([quick])
> over
> AC_MSG_RESULT(quick)
> ?

It ensures that the given strings are not interpreted by the M4
processor as macro names. I suggest to be more explicit where an
additional level of macro expansion will not be required.
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/html_node/Quotation-and-Nested-Macros.html
http://autogen.sourceforge.net/acquoting.html

> Your patch seems also to suggest that `dnl' is a better comment
> delimiter than `#'.  Is this the case?

This key word has got the effect that some lines will not be copied to
the generated configure script.

Regards,
Markus