[PPL-devel] Intel Compiler Help

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Mon Mar 30 12:15:38 CEST 2009

Patel, Jayesh wrote:
> Hello Mr. Roberto Bagnara,

Dear Patel,

please accept my apologies for the delay in answering your message: your letter
arrived in a very busy moment and I had to postpone replying.

> My name is Jayesh Patel (J.D.). I work for Intel as a Compiler TCE (Technical Consulting Engineer).
 > I recently worked on resolving one of your issues (#523343 - Internal error compiling GMP 4.2.4).
 > I am glad to inform you that I have taken over PPL/GMP related tasks at Intel.

This is very good news indeed.

> I also wanted to inform you that:
> 1.      I will work on Intel compiler related issues reported by you or your team.

Good.  There are several still open.

> 2.      I will reproduce working environment of up-to-date PPL/GMP in Intel lab, and compile
 >         it with major releases of the Intel compiler.
> a.      I have already downloaded PPL-0.10 and GMP-4.2.4.

OK.  We are in the process of releasing PPL 0.10.1.  If you want, you can access our Git
repository: http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/Download/Git

> b.      I have managed to compile both PPL and GMP successfully using Intel compiler 11.0.086.

Did your builds pass `make check' both for GMP and PPL?

> c.      However, using GCC-4.3.0 gets me error "configure: error: Cannot find GMP version 4.1.3 or higher."
> 3.      I also intend to benchmark Intel compiler optimized binaries of PPL/GMP against GCC compiled ones.
> a.      What are the performance benchmarks for PPL/GMP that you prefer to focus?

One benchmark that is significant for all the applications that work on polyhedra is described at

     http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/performance

When we will be able to build the PPL with the Intel compiler and let it pass `make check',
we can help you to reproduce this kind of experiment.

> b.      What is the typical execution environment (h/w and s/w) for PPL/GMP based applications?

Speaking for the PPL only, I think the majority of users works on Unix-like system, with
a preference for GNU/Linux.  In your shoes, I would test on recent versions of Debian and Fedora.

> c.      I have also recompiled both PPL and GMP with optimization flags for Intel compiler.

The PPL configure script already recognizes the Intel C/C++ compiler.  If you let us know
which flags are suitable, we can use them as defaults.

> Please let me know what you think. Looking forward to working with you.
>
> Thanks.
>
> J.D. Patel
> Intel Corporation
> (C) 973.420.1438