[PPL-devel] Problems with test suite on alpha

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Thu Mar 5 13:30:05 CET 2009

[...]
> Let us focus on the role of PPL for Graphite (which uses the C interface):
> I believe that this application does not exploit the ability of PPL to
> continue after an out-of-memory condition or an arithmetic-overflow.
> If this is true, then any error raised by the PPL would cause an ICE in GCC.
> If dying with an uncaught exception is considered not significantly worse
> than dying with an ICE, then there should be no problem.
> In this hypothesis, the failures you observe are only for test programs
> that exercise the error-reporting capabilities of the PPL: I would disable
> just those on the Alpha.

I think that this is the case; I think it's up to the GCC devs to decide whether
this is a problem for them or not -- I've added my 2cents to the GCC PR and I'm
still hoping for the guys to fix it, even though it is outstanding for quite
some time now.

> Then the Debian/Alpha users should probably be warned that the PPL package
> they have does not possess all the properties explained in the PPL
> documentation, i.e., all the error reporting features are badly broken.

I'll try to make this explicit in the Debian changelog.

Best,
Michael