[PPL-devel] Difficulty compiling PPL

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Tue Jan 20 20:54:16 CET 2009

Kenneth MacKenzie wrote:
> Roberto Bagnara writes:
>  >
>  > This is something that should not have happened.  In the configuration
>  > script we try hard to support all the released versions of GLPK, but
>  > your observation seems to imply we are missing at least one.  Can
>  > you please let us know which version of GLPK is installed on your
>  > system and send us the files ppl-config.h and config.log that
>  > have been created by the configure script?
>  >

> We seem to have GLPK version 4.20.  The files that you asked for are
> attached below.

Hi Kenneth.

The problem with GLPK is now fixed in the CVS HEAD version.

> I also had some trouble compiling the Ocaml interface because it
> wanted to install the output files in /usr/lib/ocaml,  which I don't
> have write access to on my system.

I have not been able to reproduce this problem.  I did configure
PPL 0.10 with the command

     ./configure --prefix=/tmp/dst

Then I did `make'.  Then I did `make install' as an unprivileged user:
this succeeded and installed everything under /tmp/dst .

Perhaps I have misunderstood what you wrote?

I mean: since you wrote that you don't have write access to /usr/lib/ocaml
in your system, I guessed you configured with the --prefix option.
Thus my hypothesis was that our makefiles were not "obeying" what the
user specified as the --prefix argument.  But my experiment did not show that.

> However,  I managed to fix this by
> editing the appropriate makefile,  and now everything seems to be
> working well.

Good.
Thanks again for the reports,

    Roberto