[PPL-devel] Bug affecting PPL 0.10 on big-endian architectures

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Mon Feb 16 21:00:46 CET 2009

> > [...]
> > >
> > > would it be possible to access a machine where the problem
> > > manifests itself?  Alternatively, can someone run that
> > > test program under GDB and tell us which exception is
> > > thrown?
> > > All the best,
> > >

> > I will take care of that, but it may take me a few days until I find the time.
> > I'll report back as soon as possible!
> >

> It seems to be a problem with the compiler optimizations of g++ 4.2 on alpha:
> The execption (::std::invalid_argument) is thrown in test11 of
> generalizedaffineimage3.cc as expected, but the catch clauses don't do what they
> should do when compiled using -O2. It's fine with -O0 and this bug seems to be
> solved in g++ 4.3. I'll refrain from reporting a bug against the gcc package and
> rather add a hack that enforces the use of 4.3 when compiling the tests.
>
> I'm testing this hack at the moment and will upload 0.10-3 to unstable once the
> build succeeds.

It seems that there are also problems with exception handling in g++ 4.3, but in
all cases test11 of generalizedaffineimage3 is affected (with g++ 4.3 it fails
at the instance mpq_class, with 4.2 it failed with double). I will thus have the
preprocessor disable this test if __alpha__ is defined.

Best,
Michael