[PPL-devel] Bug affecting PPL 0.10 on big-endian architectures

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Wed Feb 4 01:22:27 CET 2009

> Dear maintainers of PPL packages,
>
> this message is to let you know about a bug in PPL 0.10 that
> affects some of the packages you maintain.  All the information,
> including a simple workaround is available here:
>
>     http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/Bugs/
>
> Please do not hesitate to come back to us in case you need
> further information.
> All the best,
>
>     Roberto

Hmm, this workaround looks quite ugly, I'd rather wait for a proper fix than
hacking the build script in an architecture-specific way.

In the statement on the web page you don't give any details on what actually
breaks on big endian architectures. If you could provide us with some details we
could file a bug with high severity, which would hopefully allow us to ship an
updated version with lenny or at least with lenny r1.

> P.S. The bug proves that no one ever ran `make check' on PPL 0.10
>      on a PowerPC machine and reported back the results.  If you
>      have any idea how to make sure this does not happen again...

We should probably not ignore errors from make check ... See, e.g., here:

http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=ppl&ver=0.10-1&arch=powerpc&stamp=1225939952&file=log

There were quite a few errors, but we ignored all of them. In our packaging git
repository I've got a 0.10-2 version sitting around where the errors wouldn't
have been ignored, but apparently I never uploaded that one :-(

Sorry,
Michael