[PPL-devel] Check dependency resolution for 64 bit linking

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Sun Apr 26 09:26:43 CEST 2009

Markus Elfring wrote:
> I try to compile your software library on my own. Unfortunately, I get
> an error message from the build process after the configuration on my
> openSUSE 11.1 system.
> elfring at Sonne:~/Projekte/PPL/trunk> ./configure --enable-optimization
> --enable-pch && make -j4
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/elfring/Projekte/PPL/trunk/src'
>   CXXLD    libppl.la
> /usr/local/lib/../lib/libstdc++.so: could not read symbols: File in
> wrong format
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [libppl.la] Fehler 1
> elfring at Sonne:~/Projekte/PPL/trunk> file /usr/local/lib/../lib/libstdc++.so
> /usr/local/lib/../lib/libstdc++.so: symbolic link to `libstdc++.so.6.0.10'
>
> 2.6.28.7-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Mar 1 18:21:35 CET 2009 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I have got the impression that there is a 64 bit compatibility problem.
> Can it be solved with autoconf macros in your project?

Hi Markus,

you are not saying which version of the PPL you are trying to compile.
 From the path "~/Projekte/PPL/trunk" I guess you are using a version
that, at some stage, was the HEAD of the master branch in the central
Git repository.  If that is the case, what you observe can be explained
by the use of an old version of Libtool.  So:

1) if you really want to stay on the bleeding edge, using the Git versions,
    try updating Libtool to the latest available version;
2) otherwise, download an official ppl-0.10.2 tarball and try with that one.

Notice also that:

a) --enable-optimization is the default;
b) --enable-pch did not receive much testing since when we realized
    that it does not speed up building the library in a significant way.

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it