[PPL-devel] Parma Polyhedra Library 0.10.1

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Wed Apr 15 17:28:54 CEST 2009

Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> Jack Howarth wrote:
>
>>    However if you look in ppl-0.10.1/src/Makefile.am, you will find...
>>
>> #       PPL release             -version-info
>> #           0.1                     -----
>> #           0.2                     -----
>> #           0.3                     0:0:0
>> #           0.4                     1:0:1
>> #           0.5                     2:0:0
>> #           0.6                     3:0:0
>> #           0.7                     4:0:0
>> #           0.8                     5:0:0
>> #           0.9                     6:0:0
>> #           0.10                    7:0:0
>> #           0.10.1                  8:0:1
>>
>> So either Roberto meant to bump the soversion and
>> forgot or changed his mind and didn't revert all of the
>> soversion changes out before release.
>
> I assume that there was some added API that caused the CURRENT version
> number to increase. Since the soname did not change (AGE was also
> bumped), anything that was built against version 0.10 will continue to
> work with 0.10.1 without being rebuilt.

Yes, this is what happened.

> [...]
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libtool.html#Updating-version-info

This is the algorithm we followed.  However, I realize now that
we forgot to update the C interface using the same algorithm.
So in interfaces/C/Makefile.am we have

#	    0.10		    2:0:0

LIBPPL_C_LT_CURRENT =  2
LIBPPL_C_LT_REVISION = 0
LIBPPL_C_LT_AGE =      0

whereas we should have

#	    0.10		    2:0:0
#	    0.10.1		    3:0:1

LIBPPL_C_LT_CURRENT =  3
LIBPPL_C_LT_REVISION = 0
LIBPPL_C_LT_AGE =      1

Last but not least, GMP 4.3.0 was released a few hours after
PPL 0.10.1 with a change that is not backward compatible and
that affects the PPL.  Summing up, I think the only solution
is to release PPL 0.10.2 during the weekend.

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it