[PPL-devel] [Fwd: Re: Missing symbols in C interface.]

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Mon Sep 29 18:39:17 CEST 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Missing symbols in C interface.
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 18:30:59 +0200
From: Nicolas CANIART <nicolas.caniart at labri.fr>
To: Roberto Bagnara <bagnara at cs.unipr.it>

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 03:48:57PM +0200, Roberto Bagnara wrote:
> Nicolas CANIART wrote:
>> I'm currently working with PPL throught its C programming interface.
>> For some days now, have been bothered by some missing symbols in the interface.
>> Namely:
>>
>>   ppl_Polyhedron_poly_hull_assign_and_minimize (*)
>>   ppl_new_C_Polyhedron_empty_from_dimension
>>   ppl_Polyhedron_constraints
>>   ppl_new_C_Polyhedron_from_dimension
>>
>> I'm working on a debian system and using the packaged version of ppl which is
>> not necessarily up-to-date. Checking CVS log I saw that a bug was introduced
>> in file:
>>   ppl/interfaces/C/ppl_interface_generator_c_h_code.m4
>> and fixed at revision 1.29 so I tried to build the lib from CVS sources
>> but with no more success. In fact the function (*) was not missing in the
>> debian package but is now. Since I'm not completely sure that the
>> above-mentionned bug is related to
>> my problem, and where to look in ppl sources, I'm turning to you.
>> Could you, please, shed some light on my problem.
>
> Dear Nicolas,
>
> first of all we should identify the precise version you are using.
> Then, since some of the symbols above are obsolete, we would need to know
> why you expect them to be defined.  If you can tell us what you are
> working on, we can certainly help.
> Please direct all PPL-related messages to ppl-devel at cs.unipr.it.
> All the best,
>
>    Roberto
>
> --
> Prof. Roberto Bagnara
> Computer Science Group
> Department of Mathematics, University of Parma, Italy
> http://www.cs.unipr.it/~bagnara/
> mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it

I'm currently working on a model checker which uses (amongst others) a
library that was developped here at LaBRI and is called PresTAF [1].
It is a library used to encode linear sets of Naturals using automata.
This library is also capable of formula synthesis from an automata.
This is where PPL is used in PresTAF .
The version of PPL PresTAF used to be built against is PPL-0.9.
The version of PPL installed on my systems is PPL 0.10pre27 (cvs source
snapshot made by the Debian Developper) and after my build problem occured
I also tryed the CVS head (last update is 2 days old).

But anyway from my point of view, I'm just a client of PresTAF and I
don't really know/care how it is implemented. I wrote to you because
I thought that the problem I was experiencing, were related to a bug
in the C interface generation (I did not find any deprecation message
about these symbols in the changelog). But if you say that some of these
functions are, indeed, deprecated I guess the solution to my problem is
to grab a snapshot of PPL-09 and i'll see with PresTAF maintainer what
he decides to do about the newer version of PPL (the maintainer is on
vacation right now...)

And I guess I must apologize for bothering you.
Thanks again,
Nicolas.

[1]: http://altarica.labri.fr/wiki/tools:tapas:start
--
Nicolas CANIART              | PhD. Student
LaBRI, Domaine Universitaire | Room :  378
F-33405 Talence CEDEX        | e-mail: nicolas.caniart at labri.fr

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it