[PPL-devel] [Fwd: PPL questions (GGCC related)]

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Wed Oct 1 11:46:22 CEST 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: PPL questions (GGCC related)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:52:28 +0200
From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile at starynkevitch.net>
To: Roberto Bagnara <bagnara at cs.unipr.it>
CC: Basile.starynkevitch at cea.fr

Hello Roberto

(Feel free to forward this email to the PPL mailing list if you feel it
could be interesting)

Some simple PPL questions.

First, a rather selfish complain. The GCC compiler is requiring some
precise old versions of autoconf (2.59 IIRC). Changing that is hard (but
I'm sure the GCC community would welcome patches!). PPL apparently
requires 2.61

It is painful for me to have to use many incompatible autoconf (and I
hate all the auto{conf,make,local} stuff).

May I suggest a simple, but ugly, solution: put the generated configure
files inside your CVS repository (btw, do you consider switching to
SVN?) - perhaps just as configure.generated and add inside
README.configure a small note about that (saying that
   mv configure.generated configure
could be used as an alternative to autoconf).

We had an interesting exchange about debugprinting into a string in PPL.
  From my point of view, debugprinting into a string means putting (or
appending) into a string (not a FILE*) a textual representation of PPL
data, for debugging purposes... Ideally, I would dream of being able to
transmit to the debugprinting routines an indentation (so that any
newline is followed by some given number of spaces), but I could manage
without.

What is the quickest way to achieve that? I would prefer avoiding
fmemopen or open_memstream if possible (it is too GNUlibc specific).

Regards.

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it