[PPL-devel] [libtool 2.2] testsuite: 34 failed

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Mon Mar 3 21:14:48 CET 2008

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Roberto Bagnara wrote on Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 08:48:07AM CET:
>> I got errors on a Fedora 7 system (x86_64): the log file
>> is attached.  I have also tried using Libtool 2.2 on one
>> of my projets, but I get the following:
>>
>> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/home/roberto/ppl/ppl/src  -I.. -I/home/roberto/ppl/ppl/src    -g -frounding-math  -W -Wall -MT Box.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/Box.Tpo -c -o Box.lo /home/roberto/ppl/ppl/src/Box.cc
>> ../libtool: line 459: CDPATH: command not found
>> ../libtool: line 1262: func_opt_split: command not found
>> libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.2, but the
>> libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from an older release.
>> libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.2
>> libtool: and run autoconf again.
>>
>> I think I did that on entirely new directories and after running
>> `autoreconf -f' to recreate (among other things), aclocal.m4.
>> What am I missing?
>
> Which Autoconf, M4 versions were used?  What says
>   grep LT_INIT aclocal.m4 m4/libtool.m4
>
> (modify the latter to point at the libtool.m4 file that's copied into
> your project if any).

Hi Ralf,

this was entirely my fault: I did something stupid in my first attempt
of switching from Libtool 1.5.24 to Libtool 2.2 (m4/libtool.m4 was not
even there).

However, things still do not seem to work properly for me.  Trying to
understand what is going on, I have distilled the following:

$ cat mycommand
#!/bin/sh
echo "mycommand invoked with argument '$1'"
$ mycommand ciao
mycommand invoked with argument 'ciao'
$ ./libtool --mode=execute mycommand ciao
mycommand invoked with argument '/home/roberto/tppl/'
$

Note that /home/roberto/tppl/ is the directory where the libtool
script is located.  I can also do

$ cd interfaces/
$ ../libtool --mode=execute ../mycommand ciao
mycommand invoked with argument '/home/roberto/tppl/'

Is this behavior normal?
./libtool is what has been created at configure time and a bzipped
version of it is attached to this file.

> Still looking at your the testsuite failure (but it's anyway an issue
> separate from the above).
>
> Cheers, and thanks for the report,

Thanks to you!
Best,

     Roberto

P.S. In ./libtool there is the line

        # Generated automatically by config.status (GNU ppl) 0.10pre16

      `ppl' is indeed the short name of the project.  I don't know
      why it is preceded by "GNU".

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it