[PPL-devel] static initialization interferes with OpenGL

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Thu Feb 28 14:53:15 CET 2008

Manoj Rajagopalan wrote:
>   I am using PPL v0.9.16 from one of the Fedora 8 repositories (fedora
> extras?). I am attaching a short C++ program to print out the OpenGL
> version. It requires GLUT.
>
>   When I comment out the inclusion of ppl.hh the code runs. I built the
> executable with the command:
>
>   g++ glversion.cpp -o glversion -lppl -lglut -lGLU -lGL

Dear Manoj,

thanks for the testcase.  I have tried it on a Fedora 8 machine
with

$ rpm -q freeglut-devel mesa-libGL-devel mesa-libGLU-devel ppl
freeglut-devel-2.4.0-11.fc8
mesa-libGL-devel-7.0.2-3.fc8
mesa-libGLU-devel-7.0.2-3.fc8
ppl-0.9-16.fc8

but did not succeed in reproducing the behavior you are observing.
I have even moved the inclusion of ppl.hh before the inclusions
for GLUT (to check if a macro defined in ppl.hh was colliding with
something else), I have tried with different optimization levels,
but I get the output

$ glversion
GL Version = 1.2 Mesa 7.0.3

when invoking `glversion' locally, while I get the output

$ glversion
freeglut (glversion): Unable to create direct context rendering for window ''
This may hurt performance.
GL Version = 1.4 (2.1.1 NVIDIA 100.14.19)

executing it remotely from a machine using the NVIDIA driver.

If you run the program in gdb and put a breakpoint to main(),
then single-step it, can you see where it hangs?

Alternatively, you could set up a temporary account for me
on the machine that exhibit this behavior.

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it