[PPL-devel] [Fwd: Re: patch for merging graphite branch (before tuplification)]

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Mon Aug 4 07:53:54 CEST 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: patch for merging graphite branch (before tuplification)
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:20:19 +0200
From: Richard Guenther <richard.guenther at gmail.com>
To: Joseph S. Myers <joseph at codesourcery.com>

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 8:23 PM, Joseph S. Myers <joseph at codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2008, Sebastian Pop wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The graphite branch has been tuplified and the port to PPL passes the
>> graphite testsuite.  For building the graphite branch right now, here
>> are the steps you'll have to go through:
>>
>> You have to get a copy of the release 0.9 of PPL from:
>> http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/Download/
>
> I see this is documented as needing (a) C++, (b) GCC 4.0.3 or later, (c)
> GMP compiled with the C++ interface enabled.  I believe we previously
> reached a conclusion that if GCC is made to require C++ it would work with
> any version of GCC 3.4 or later (and did not discuss the question of the
> GMP C++ interface).  Recall that right now the documented requirement is
> that a cross-compiler (so all non-Ada front ends) can be built with GCC
> 2.95 or later; Ada requires 3.4 or later; and any ISO C compiler should
> work for bootstrapping a native compiler.

If Graphite can be disabled then the bootstrapping issue goes away as you
can in a first step build current GCC with C++ enabled and do a second stage
with Graphite enabled.

> At this point I think the policy questions regarding the build
> requirements for graphite, even as an optional feature, need to be raised
> on their own in a thread on the gcc list rather than buried in the patch
> discussion.

I agree.  At least this is the place for requesting Host testing on
non-Linux hosts.
Note that Fedora has packages for the PPL, likewise has Debian.  I am in
the progress of building ones for SUSE.

Richard.

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it