[PPL-devel] PPL: Problem with Checked-Ints

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Tue Feb 20 14:52:12 CET 2007

Didier Lime wrote:
> I guess I should be using arbitrary length integers anyway! But for now,
> I will take my chance with 64 bit checked integers (they should still be
> more efficient even on 32 bit computers).

They should be.

> If I remember well, in the real application, I had this overflow in
> remove_space_dimensions (in the conversion routine called by some
> minimize function, if I remember my stack frames correctly). Maybe due
> to the same emptiness test.

Both the emptiness test and remove_space_dimensions() (may) call
the conversion routine;  so, yes, it is the same phenomenon.

>> Note also that C_Polyhedron objects are significantly more efficient
>> than NNC_Polyhedron objects: so, if you don't need to work with
>> non-closed polyhedra (i.e., don't need strict inequalities) you may
>> consider to use the former for efficiency.
>
> Good idea but, in Romeo, I actually need those non-strict inequalities
> so this is not an option.

Do you mean that you need those _strict_ inequalities?

If so, this may be one application of strict inequalities we do not know.
Can you give us some intuition or point us to a paper that explains
the role played by strict inequalities in the verification of Time Petri Nets?

> Thanks again for your answer and more generally, I must say I do
> appreciate programming with this library. From my point of view, you
> have really done a great piece of work!

Glad to be useful.
Thanks!

     Roberto (on behalf of the entire development team)

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it