[PPL-devel] configuration

Basile STARYNKEVITCH basile at starynkevitch.net
Mon Aug 27 17:11:19 CEST 2007

Hello All,

I am still missing a specific README file or an HTML page explaining all
the details of PPL
configuration and compilation (ie all the traps possible at build time).
I feel that PPL is more configurable than most plain GNU stuff, hence that
some basic documentation about PPL configuration and compilation is
useful, in particular to newscomers.

May I suggest to (at least) add something like:

  PPL is usable from programs written in C, C++, Ocaml, Prolog.
  You'll need to pass the appropriate  --enable-interfaces flag to its
configure script.

to the "General Information on the PPL" page
http://www.cs.unipr.it/ppl/Documentation/user/ in the Main Features section.
or perhaps to add a "Building PPL" [sub-] section

(I had a hardware crash and I did lost my previous PPL configuration
-but not much else than configuration files- and I had to try several
times to find the right configuration to me)

with the ppl-0.10pre7 snapshot (or pre-release?) configured thru
    ./configure '--enable-interfaces=c,cxx,ocaml' '--sysconfdir=/etc/local'
a make install does not install any ppl_c.h file, as I would expect. Is
it normal or did I misunderstood something (probable)?

Actually, I need to test in a autconf file (gcc/configure.ac) the
availability of the C interface to PPL.

Any ideas?

Regards.