[PPL-devel] ppl TODO

Matthew Mundell mattm at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jan 16 14:02:44 CET 2006

Roberto Bagnara <bagnara at cs.unipr.it> writes:

> Matthew Mundell wrote:
>> It'd be nice if the manual pages also came in texinfo format.
>
> It's a problem of manpower, as usual.
>
> Notice that the current man pages have been generated by
> a simple script based un help2man.  This is a GNU tool
> that generates a man page out of '--help' and '--version'
> output.  The big advantage is that you only maintain the
> application, and let help2man update the man documentation
> accordingly.  I will commit the scripts after the release
> of PPL 0.8.

>From the help2man README:

    Since most GNU documentation is now in info format, this provides
    a way to generate a placeholder man page pointing to that resource
    while still providing some useful information.

In the long term maybe the invocation help can be moved into the user
manual, and texinfo can be added to the user manual formats.  The man
page could then duplicate the invocation details in the user manual.