[PPL-devel] Confusion about "space dimension"

P M Hill hill at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Feb 1 16:46:07 CET 2006

I don't know if my thoughts here are relevant - this discussion seems a
little strange to me! So I may be missing the point.

I thought that all objects seen by the user had a semantic interpretation
and whatever information that we returned was semantic - in the context of
the object itself. We do not want to give the syntactic representation in
the PPl as the meaning of the object.

I feel that we should not try and decide if this object semantic or
syntactic but what the semantics of the object are.

polyhedra, grids, BDS are clear to me - they denote points in some
n-dimensional space.

What about a constraint system? Is this a set of hyperplanes - or should
it have the same semantics as the polyhedron it describes? Probably the
latter - but I am not really sure of the issues.

and so on

then linear expressions could have the semantics of the expression as an
algebraic construct so that A + A is the same as 2*A - but then we should
not say they have a space dimension;
or, maybe the semantics could be the vector of the coordinates - then we
can talk about the smallest space in which the vector could have a meaning
- but then why say A + C has space dimension 2 while A + B has space
dimension 2? Also the inhomogeneous term would not fit into this picture.

Ciao,
   Pat