Coefficient sizes [was: Re: [PPL-devel] Tinderbox status]

Matthew Mundell mattm at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 22 11:40:51 CEST 2005

>> 4) the matasciidumpload1 test fails for some choices of the
>>     Coefficient type.
>
> This is just from the size of random numbers being generated in the
> test.  I'm on it.

For this test I'd like to generate a positive random number within the
bounds of the coefficient type.  This requires the size of the
coefficient type.  Is there an existing way to this size?

I've thought of defining a directive in configure.ac, say
COEFFICIENT_RAW_TYPE, and then calculating the random number as
follows.

    #if defined(NATIVE_INTEGERS) || defined(CHECKED_INTEGERS)
          tem = rand() % std::numeric_limits<COEFFICIENT_RAW_TYPE>::max();
    #else
          tem = rand();
    #endif

Is there a better way to do this?