[PPL-devel] RFC: packaging the PPL for RedHat and Debian

Roberto Bagnara bagnara at cs.unipr.it
Fri Mar 4 11:05:27 CET 2005

Michael Tautschnig wrote:
>> Although, the Debian Library Packaging guide has:
>>
>>    Chapter 5. Naming library packages
>>
>>    The policy documents how to name library
>>    packages. "lib[libraryname][SONAME-version-number]" like "libc6" for
>>    /lib/libc.so.6
>>
>> so it would be more in keeping to name it libppl5.
>
> Yes, but this makes me ask: Why is the soname-version == 5?

The answer is in src/Makefile.am, which is the only file I would like
to modify in order so change this version information, for the time being.

# Libtool -version-info for libppl.la.
#
#  1. Start with version information of `0:0:0' for each Libtool library.
#
#  2. Update the version information only immediately before a public
#     release of your software.  More frequent updates are unnecessary,
#     and only guarantee that the current interface number gets larger
#     faster.
#
#  3. If the library source code has changed at all since the last
#     update, then increment REVISION (`C:R:A' becomes `C:r+1:A').
#
#  4. If any interfaces have been added, removed, or changed since the
#     last update, increment CURRENT, and set REVISION to 0.
#
#  5. If any interfaces have been added since the last public release,
#     then increment AGE.
#
#  6. If any interfaces have been removed since the last public release,
#     then set AGE to 0.
#
#	PPL release		-version-info
#	    0.1			    -----
#	    0.2			    -----
#	    0.3			    0:0:0
#	    0.4			    1:0:1
#	    0.5			    2:0:0
#	    0.6			    3:0:0
#	    0.7			    4:0:0
#	    0.8			    5:0:0

And you can bet that, at least for the next 5, 6, 7 releases,
the CURRENT number will strictly increase.
Cheers,

mailto:bagnara at cs.unipr.it