[PPL-devel] Re: RFC: packaging the PPL for RedHat and Debian

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Thu Mar 3 16:03:16 CET 2005

[...]
>> So how about a libppl-doc?
>
> OK: let us see how this looks like.  How are the requirements of the GPL
> and of the GFDL satisfied then?  I guess they should go in all packages
> and not conflict with each other, right?  I mean: the GPL must be part
> of the base package.  But it must be part also of the -dev package since
> the -dev package would seem to be independent from the base one (it contains
> the static library and the headers so it containts "the software" the same
> way
> the base package containing the shared library contains it).  Since we
> generate documentation from comments, the GFDL should also be part of the
> -dev package, right?  But then, why not distribute also the other files:
> README, BUGS, CREDITS...  If we want to have several packages these are
> all problems that must be solved.

Well, where is the problem? Yes, IMHO all packages should provide these
files, but in Debian the usually go in /usr/share/doc/<packagename>/ , so
there won't be any conflict to be resolved; acutally, by listing those
files in debian/docs, that will be done automatically for each package. It
might be considered wasted disk-space, but that should be about all.

> And, in all this separation: should we have both libppl-c and libppl-c-dev?
> One with the shared library and one with the static one?
> Arent we going to end up with 20 or so packages for something
> that is not really that complicate such as the PPL?
> Let us think about this.

Well - do you really think we should have more than one -dev -package? In
boost, they do that - but each package provides quite a few header-files
- which is AFAIK not the case for ppl!?

I'd opt for

- libppl<soversion>
- libppl-<language><soversion>
- libppl-dev
- libppl-doc

> I have looked around, but was not satisfied with what I found.
> You can consider me the RPM expert: it is not completely accurate
> but it is good enough for our purposes.
>
> Matthew, can you elaborate things further?  Have a look at ppl.spec.in
> that lists all the files that are installed by the RPM packages and
> see how to map them into the Debian mechanism.

The only thing I found was "epm" - see

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=8964/sam0312h/0312h.htm

- otherwise I suggest writing an awk-script that does the job
automatically!?

Regards,
Michael